Good readability is the convenience of scanning
You may have heard of different kinds of readability. To simplify things a bit, there are two kinds of reading:
- Sequential (word by word, line by line)
- Scanning (a quick glance through the text with stops in interesting places).
As a rule, each person before reading any article or material first scans them. This can take 1, 5 or 30 seconds. The time cost is not important, what is important is that we first run through the text and only then start reading it.
If you get the job resume right, you'll make it a lot easier to scan and read. If you put the right emphases on it, you can increase your chances of getting hired and speed up your job search.
Rules and requirements for resumes
The first thing a resume begins with is structure. A resume words should include:
- Your full name and contact information.
- Work experience (in reverse chronological order - last place on top).
- Education (in reverse chronological order - last training at the top).
- Skills and knowledge.
Everything else on your resume is up to you. Recommendations, additional information, courses and trainings, completed projects and other things you can specify or not.
The second rule of resume design is one style for the same type of elements. If you have several jobs, you should design each of them in the same way. Proceed in the same way if you have several educations.
It is advisable to stick to a single style of the entire resume. It will be strange if your work experience will be written in slanted font, and education underlined. Uniform style also includes uniform section headings (work experience, education, key skills, etc.). It's best to look at all of these as examples.
A simple way to format your resume correctly and beautifully
There is a very, very simple way to design a resume without even thinking about it. It's a two-step algorithm.
- Step 1: set up an account on a job site, type in your information and then upload the Word document.
- Step 2: Fix what you don't like about the document. As a rule, these are small corrections (delete something, rearrange, reduce/increase the font, remove the logo).
Modern online services have already solved all design issues for you. Use them and don't reinvent the wheel. And besides, the main thing is not the design, but the meaning of the words you write.